Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sadness

I wonder how many people stay in the wrong relationship simply because they don't want to face the sadness of the goodbye?

I wonder how many folks out there hang on to things that are no longer useful, jobs that are unfulfilling, or friendships that exhaust them?

At what point does the pain of goodbye feel better than the pain of sticking around?

Sometimes it seems that the shift happens suddenly, however, some of us are so good at hiding how we feel, that it takes others by surprise when we finally decide enough is enough.

Sometimes it takes more than one try.

I hate being sad, but I hate being frustrated more.  I don't ever find it easy to move on, but the past has taught me that hanging on is futile and thwarts personal growth.

For those of us who are co-dependent, we hang on too long.  We fear loss, because we have experienced so much early on in life.  We wish for a better outcome.  We think we can fix what is broken, so we keep trying...

Sometimes, however, we can't fix people, or situations, or circumstance, so we just have to face pain.

What is great, though, is that the older we get, the more we realize that the pain of loss, although acute and severe at the beginning, fades with time.  That same time also offers perspective and hope.

Hope for something better to come along, in God's perfect timing.  A better fit, a bigger plan, a brighter day.

My pastor discussed hope today.  I am so, so glad he did, because I was feeling pretty sad.  I know that the sadness will fade, and I will romanticize the past, but in the meantime, I will just accept the sorrow as a natural part of the healing process.

Tears were once very difficult for me.  I don't mind them so much anymore.  They remind me that I am human.  They remind me that I have come a long way.  If it is possible to be sad, yet still be happy, then that is how I feel right now.  Happy to accept the end of something that wasn't healthy, and that, my friends, is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment